H1B Visa Extension

An H-1B employee may extend his/her H-1B work authorization within 6 months of the expiration of the current H-1B. The petition to extend the H-1B must be submitted anytime prior to the expiration date of the current H-1B work authorization. As long as the petition for an extension has been filed in a timely fashion, you may remain in the U.S. in valid status and continue your employment.

Note: your H-1B is portable to a new employer based on the request for an extension, even if the extension has yet to be granted (see “H-1B Transfer”).